Sunday, February 16, 2014

Triggers

My work sent me to a conference on New Teacher Induction this past week, and while most of the sessions I attended were based on quality mentoring, I did go to one about social and emotional wellness. (And I was happy to note a multitude of sessions addressing this topic. Teaching can be incredibly draining, so it was good to see the shift in awareness.) During my session the presenters mentioned emotional triggers, and how we typically think only of triggers for negative emotions (i.e. things that make you feel depressed, angry, etc.) It is incredibly important, not to mention helpful, to know what triggers negative thoughts and emotions, but what I appreciated was the presenter's mention of triggers for positive emotions.

I hadn't really thought about it, but I realized I definitely should. Here are my triggers for joy:

  • riding my bike (something about the exercise plus being outside really makes me feel GREAT.)
  • creating music (singing or playing, either way it lifts me up.)
  • cooking/baking for people
  • quality time with Ren (reading to him, playing with him, even watching YouTube videos of whatever currently grabs his attention, but most especially doing whatever makes him laugh!)
  • hugs from Robb
  • spending time with friends
As I said before, in an effort to be mindful I've given thought to what triggers me to start the downward mental/emotional spiral, but I hadn't really thought about what triggers me to feel joy. It's an exercise I recommend for everyone, so here's my question for you: what causes you to feel joy and how can you make it happen more often in your life?

EDIT: I was reminded that the following should be on my list.

  • Ryan
  • :-)

3 comments:

  1. I can tell this is a work of a shadow writer, because the "real" Vanessa would have put me somewhere in the list. ;) Do you have handouts/notes from the workshop? Sounds like something I could do with residents at Hillcrest.

    (Hug),
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Happy to be a trigger for you the other night. I already miss my little buddy. And you, of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This (triggers for happiness) IS an excellent idea! I haven't been commenting on your posts - just remembered you had this blog and have been catching up on your days - so I just want to say here that I am SO happy you're doing this and that I find this blog inspiring! Love you muchisimo.

    ReplyDelete