Sunday, January 26, 2014

I Still Consider This Saturday!

We had friends over for dinner and we chatted for a looooong time afterward. Now it's 1:30 am and I need to go to bed, but not before I post! :-)

Today's extraordinary event: my bike ride with Little Man. I wanted to make sure we got out of the house today, so I dragged him out to his bike trailer and headed off to the park. Except he heard a train whistle and told me he wanted to see trains, so I adjusted my route and went to the train station first. We parked the bike and headed up to the train platform, and just as we got up top a train pulled in.  (Awesome!) Little Man was super excited to watch the passengers get on and off and kept waving at the train. When it departed the station the conductor rang the bell a few extra times and waved goodbye.  We were smiling and so was he - so hopefully we added to his day.

From the train station we headed out toward the park, but at the first major intersection I spied some sort of event involving fire trucks. "Hey buddy, would you like to see some fire trucks?" As you can probably guess, the answer was "YES!" So we crossed the street and had the pleasure of discovering
a) the location of the Elks Lodge here in town, and
b) three different fire trucks from various eras (1890s wagon, 1910s truck, modern ladder truck that was  monumentally huge).
Once again, Little Man was super excited (and he really wanted to climb that ladder)!

After the firetrucks I struck out toward the park, and once we got there we had an enjoyable 20 minute play session. Then we hopped back on the bike and went home.  I'm so glad I listened to Little Man when he said he wanted to see trains, because if I hadn't gone that way we would have missed the fire trucks. It was a great ride with lovely unexpected surprises that made Little Man's day and definitely brightened mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment