Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Preface

I struggle with depression. A lot. While I'm definitely not at my lowest point, I'm not where I want to be, either. Focusing on the positive, amazing, extraordinary things that happen every day will, I hope (and actually, science supports this hope) help me improve my outlook in general and my overall emotional well being.

So...who am I? I am the daughter of two truly amazing parents.  I am a sister to six brothers and one sister, an aunt to fourteen fabulous nieces and nephews, a friend, a wife and a mother. My husband and I met online (Thank you Internet. Love, The Introverts) and have been married since 2008. Our son was born in 2011 and he is a joy. I work full time as a teacher and my husband is working his way through an MFA: Graphic Design program. 

I have had Type 1 diabetes since I was three and a half. My husband has ADHD. I fight against depression and my husband and I both have issues with anxiety from time to time. We exercise regularly, eat a plant based, largely organic diet, drink lots of water, and have unicorns bless our superfoods as often as possible. (Still reading? I'm impressed!) 

Somehow, I allowed myself to beat negative thought patterns into place without realizing what I was doing. Now it's time to let those paths grow weeds and fall into disuse as I do some positive thought trailblazing.  You're welcome to join me - let's find the extraordinary, everyday.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Vanessa. I also battle with anxiety and negative thought patterns. I try to incorporate a variety of mindfulness exercises in my day to help me cope. Sometimes I forget to do this and that's when my life gets off track. The link to this blog came at a perfect time and is very inspiring...Thank you for bringing peace to my Sunday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, I'm so glad my random musings were helpful! I always feel uplifted any time I visit with you, so I'm happy to return the favor. :-)

    ReplyDelete